2021 Middle & High School (Grades 4-12) ARCGIS ONLINE STORY MAP COMPETITION – Mapping Indiana: Past, Present and New Realities
National Geographic Society: Educational Opportunities
|Educator Certification |
National Geographic Educator Certification is a free professional development program that recognizes pre-K through 12 formal and informal educators committed to inspiring the next generation of explorers, conservationists, and changemakers.
Pre-K through 12 Educators: Join the Winter 2021 Cohort
| The Geo-Inquiry Process|
Today’s students need to understand how the complex and dynamic human and natural systems interact in order to make smart decisions. The Geo-Inquiry Process relies on using a geographic perspective, offering a unique lens to analyze space, place, and the interconnections between both the human and natural world.
Sat27Apr2019Indiana History Center, Indianapolis
June 6 or 7. Please check back to confirm as the date approaches.
Thu06Jun20199:00am - 3:00pmMorrisson-Reeves Library, 80 North 6th Street, Richmond, IN 47374
Mon08Jul2019Fri12Jul20198:30am - 4:00pmBall State University, Muncie
Tue17Sep2019IN Government Center South
Mon23Sep2019Tue24Sep2019Indianapolis Marriott North
Fri27Sep2019Purdue Earth, Atmospheric, & Planetary Sciences
Sat05Oct20195:00PM - 7:00PMSummit Lake State Park (Sunset Shelter) 5993 N. Messick Road, New Castle, IN 47362
Those who participate in the 2019 Golden Hour Smartphone Photography Workshop will be empowered to make beautiful pictures with their smartphones in Summit Lake State Park during the magical light that is known as The Golden Hour
The park staff will point out plants, animals, and scenery of particular interest. Participants will learn how to use their smartphones to photograph landscapes, portraits, still lifes, and do macro photography. Following the introduction, the workshop members will have the opportunity to shoot photographs throughout the park.
For a fee of $10, participants will receive admission to the park, a printed handout, a tripod, and a box of photographic clip-on lenses for their smartphones. The first ten people who register will receive the handouts. Others are welcome to attend.
Register at moriartymedia.com
Photographs may be sent to the park to be judged by the staff. The winning picture will be framed and hung in the Summit Lake State Park office.
This activity is made possible with support by the Indiana Arts Commission and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
Presentation by Katie Springer, the IN State Data Center Coordinator and Librarian with the IN State Library
Fri01Nov2019Sun03Nov2019McCormick’s Creek State Park
Thu07Nov2019Sat09Nov2019Elements Financial Blue Ribbon Pavilion at the IN State Fairgrounds
GREAT food and entertainment; SOLID education linked to IN Academic Standards; early holiday shopping. GENI is hosting the Giant Maps of Africa & Indiana and Passport engagement activity; IUPUI is a Community Partner encouraging connections to the university. http://www.nationalitiescouncil.org/
-Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.: school groups in the morning and early afternoon/public in the afternoon and evening
-Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.: school groups in the morning and early afternoon/public in the afternoon and evening; Naturalization Ceremony begins at 2:00 p.m. (very humbling and moving event)
-Saturday, 10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.: OPEN to EVERYONE!
Thu07Nov2019Sat09Nov2019IN State Fairgrounds Blue Ribbon Pavilion
- Find Resources / hear GIS Stories / visit GIS Day events near you https://www.gisday.com/en-us/overview
- Find a local GIS professional to visit your classroom OR to visit their work site email@example.com
- Engage in interactive elementary-secondary GeoInquiries https://www.esri.com/en-us/industries/education/schools/geoinquiries-collections
- BEGIN your Story Map adventure … request a FREE ArcGIS Online school account for your students https://www.esri.com/en-us/industries/education/schools/schools-mapping-software-bundle (scroll down a bit and complete the request; takes a few business days to receive a reply)
1. Once this step is completed, IN middle and high school students can participate in the Mapping Indiana: Nature, Culture and Diversity 2020 IN Middle & High School ArcGIS Online Story Map Competition … 10-$100.00 Amazon gift cards as prizes!!!
Thu14Nov2019Hamilton County Fairgrounds
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Fri15Nov20198:00a.m. – 4:00p.m.IUPUI's Hine Hall
How Hoosiers Exemplify Our World: Activists, Innovators and Diplomats
Keynote: A’Lelia Bundles, author of On Her Own Ground: The Life and Times of Madam C.J. Walker, a biography of her great-great-grandmother that was named a New York Times Notable Book.
Lunch: Dr. Tina L. Heafner, President of the National Council for the Social Studies
- IN Studies app, CitizIN, launched at the Conference
- ICSS & GENI Awards
- Sessions / Networking / Exhibits
- PGP’s available
- IUPUI’s Idea Garden – IUPUI Learning Spaces has created a place to foster creativity through technology for students, staff, and the community. The technology was chosen to encourage experimentation, whether you are a novice or a veteran of the technologies. Visitors can get hands-on experience with Dell Canvas and Microsoft Surface drawing tablets, LulzBot TAZ 6 3D printers, HTC Vive virtual reality stations, and an IQ-Wall made up of eight touch-screen panels. ICSS Conference Attendees are explore the Idea Garden in IP106.
- IU IT Training (https://ittraining.iu.edu) recently made all of their online training materials (Office, Adobe, web design, graphic design, video production, creating accessible documents, etc.) FREE of charge for everyone! IUPUI Department of Geography Augmented Reality Sandbox will be on site for ICSS Conference Attendees to experience
Hosted by the Texas Council for the Social Studies
Fri06Dec2019Sat07Dec2019Fort Benjamin Harrison State Park
Fri06Dec2019Sat07Dec2019Fort Benjamin Harrison State Park Inn